De La Salle and Carondelet Bands
DLS/CHS Band Course Descriptions
The functions of a performing musical ensemble are to provide the opportunity for every student to improve and expand upon their individual musical skills, to function successfully as a member of an ensemble, and to apply these acquired skills in performance situations outside the rehearsal environment. Therefore, all performances are mandatory. The following is a brief description of each band course offered at De La Salle High School.
Concert Band / Marching Band
This musical ensemble focuses on preparation and performance of contemporary and traditional concert band and wind ensemble literature. Included in the curriculum are individual and ensemble performance techniques, sight-reading and music vocabulary, as well as aspects of music theory and history. Emphasis is on immediate practical application of skills. In the fall, parade and field show music and marching techniques will be explored. Performance is required at home football games, band reviews, parades, and school and community functions. As per the grading policy, members are required to attend all performances. This ensemble is considered the "core" of the De La Salle/Carondelet High School Band program.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.(piano, guitar, and bass players maybe exempted at the discretion of the director).
- IS HIGH SCHOOL BAND DIFFICULT?
- CAN I PLAY SPORTS AND/OR PARTICIPATE IN OTHER CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES?
- DOES BAND TAKE UP ALL OF MY TIME?
- WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL DAY?
- IS CONCERT BAND/MARCHING BAND SYNONYMOUS?
- DOES BAND LOOK GOOD ON COLLEGE APPLICATIONS?
- DOES THE BAND PROGRAM TRAVEL/TOUR?
- WHAT ABOUT JAZZ BAND?
- WHAT ABOUT TESTS AND HOMEWORK IN BAND?
- DO I HAVE TO TAKE PRIVATE LESSONS?
- DOES THE SCHOOL PROVIDE INSTRUMENTS?
- DOES THE SCHOOL PROVIDE MARCHING BAND UNIFORMS?
- WHEN DO THE CONCERT BANDS AND JAZZ BANDS PERFORM?
- IF I WANT TO SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT INSTRUMENT, WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?
- I WANT TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT THAT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE ENSEMBLE. WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE?
- WHAT ARE WAYS PARENTS CAN GET INVOLVED WITH THE BAND?